Monday, August 25, 2008

There's a surprise for you downstairs!!!


It happened some months ago. Finn was 7 or 8 weeks old and I was in a bare minimum state of mind. I had woken up with Dane and Liam at 7:30 and got them dressed, breakfast and settled (settled meaning a movie). I heard Finn crying upstairs and knew he was hungry, so I headed up to feed him. It was while feeding him that an exhaustion cloud started to swirl around my head. I could feel my eyes closing and happily gave in to the peaceful moment. Assuming my slumber would shortly be interrupted by a "mommy I want some milk" request. Suddenly I woke up feeling more rested than I expected. I glanced at the clock only to see to my delight and horror that it was 10:40. I had slept for more than two hours. I was grateful for the much needed sleep but terrified to see what could have kept their attention so long. So as I got up, still in pajamas messy hair and unbrushed teeth, I headed down the stairs. Keeping my fingers crossed that they had just really gotten into Nemo for the four thousandths three hundred and seventieth time. As I rounded the corner I could see a trail of food on the floor. Not just some adorable Hansel and Gretel tidbits with the odd cheerio placed here and there. Instead multiple bags of Costco size cheerios, goldfish, tortilla chips and crackers had been dumped out. It also appeared that this plethora of crunchy carbs had been danced on in order to pulverize into dust. The next object my eyes fell upon was Dane's old potty that we had used to potty train him when he was two (ok maybe three and a half). The potty had obviously been used all morning in some make shift port-a-potty fashion with unrolled toilet paper all around it. As I looked up all I could see was Dane, having taken off all of his clothes he stood there with his Thomas the train underoos. He had his head cocked back and was looking at something saying "show me some more pictures". At this point as some of the kitchen come into view I could see that Liam also had taken off all of his cloths and was just in a dirty diaper. He was sitting on the kitchen floor next to the tipped over garbage can. All of the garbage cans contents had been ripped out and were all over the floor. During this excavation process he had found two treasures: old pizza and old brownies, which Liam was feasting on and covered in. As I now came into full view of the living room several things horrified me. The first was that all the cushions and pillows of our couch had been removed and covered in the said carb dust. The second was all of the DVD's, blankets, clean diapers and toys that had been strewn all over the living room. But with all of this around me nothing seemed to trouble me more than the Jehovah Witness that was sitting on my cushion-less couch showing the boys pictures of Jesus. Now it should not have come as much of a surprise to me as it did. Dane is what you might call a social butterfly. We have to turn down play dates for fear of over scheduling him. He invites everyone into the house to play with him and is very friendly and inclusive. Every time the mail man comes Dane tries to convince him to come play trains with him. If it wasn't for the latch on our screen door I would expect many more visitors. Unfortunately I forgot to latch the door before my impromptu slumber. Now the Jehovah witness was a nice older woman who looked like she was a wonderful misses Klaus-type grandma to some lucky little grandchildren. She quickly told me what lovely children I have and that they had literally pulled her into the house. I thanked her for coming by and thanked my lucky starts she wasn't Child Services representative.

10 comments:

The Quinones Family said...

That is halarious!! I can definiely relate with the couple of times I've dozed off (having an infant as well who makes me sleepy!)...but that story is just too funny...good thing they stayed in the house! :)

Nellie said...

I am SO glad you posted this story -- I needed a good laugh. The JW lady hanging out with your boys, classic!

Laura said...

Oh my goodness! That is one of my greatest fears, falling as sleep for too long and my kids having the BEST time of their lives AND an unknown person in my house. Funny, hope you had a good rest, much needed I am sure. Did your kid convert?

A.D. McClish said...

Oh my gosh. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. I could totally see that happening to me!! How come she didn't come looking for you? she had to know you were in the house somewhere! Haha! The other day, JJ and I fell asleep on a Saturday morning and when we woke up, Noah had dumped all the fish food into the fish tank. (There was also a play fishing pole sticking out of the tank). He had dumped out a bag of prezels on his bedroom floor and had gone #2 in the potty but had neglected to wipe his bottom. Thankfully, though, there were no strange people in our living room. HAhaha!

Carrie Hellewell said...

And to think that I got the cops called on ME for leaving Roxie outside for 15 minutes. You are quite the mom lady. Ps. I miss you!

Jessie said...

HILARIOUS! Those little guys are too funny! I can just picture Dane inviting the woman in and having a grand old time!

Abbey said...

life with three boys... so it goes! very, very funny!

Super B said...

Holy cow. That is great. Definitely one for the books. How funny and crazy. I love that you shared such a great story with the rest of us.

Celeste Christensen said...

I really needed that laugh. I, myself have fallen asleep in my third trimester. Rachael would just come and sit next to me, as I am passed out on the couch! Peter always said there is a reason why they can't remember this age in thier life. I love your blog!

Paula K said...

Great post! You have such a wonderful and necessary sense of humor.