Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My 30th Birthday Blast!

My thirtieth birthday was soon approaching and I had no idea if anything fun was going on. I was hoping for some kind of a cake and a chance to see some friends. When Rory told me that Emily Deans had offered to baby-sit and that we were going on a romantic birthday date I was more than thrilled. My Birthday was Saturday the 9th, and our date was scheduled for the Friday before.

Rory told me the restaurant was very posh and that I needed to dress to the nines to fit in. So there we were Friday night all dressed up and waiting for Emily to arrive. ….waiting and waiting. She was supposed to be there at 7:45 so we could make our 8:00 reservations. 8:00 came and went, and we had to call and move our reservation back to 8:15. Emily kept sending apology text messages, and I was trying not to be annoyed. Around 8:30 Emily sent me this message. “Sorry I’m late, can you come help me bring in all my craft project stuff from the car." I was complaining to Rory but stepped outside to help Emily haul her stuff in. And there they were….

My nearest and dearest girlfriends all decked out with feather head pieces, cocktail attire, dripping in jewels, waving signs with blown up pictures of my face, snapping photos with my camera, (thank you, Andy) standing in front of a white stretched limo and screaming my name! I was totally shocked; I honestly had no earthly clue this was going to happen. I was whisked into the limo and handing a champagne flute. To my delight I notices a little ribbon tied to the base of the flute with a decorative baby picture of me attached. Sparkling cider was uncorked and poured for all and the limo took off.


After quieting down all of our giggles of delight, Cassie began the first toast of many - an event that would take place throughout the evening every 30 minutes. The details of each toast cannot be written about because it would take me many laughter and tear filled hours to recall all the kind details. In general though each toast consisted of funny stories, blush inducing compliments, mutual tears of gratitude for friendship and kindness that will carry me through another 30 years. We were all driven to one of my favorite restaurants. As we all filed out of the limo I couldn’t help notice what a hot bunch of ladies we were, and neither could some of the restaurant's male patrons. I believe we heard 'ooh la la's' more than once. We were lead into a private room adorned with my favorite white flowers by Angie, my dear friend and floral design partner. The room was covered in floor to ceiling velvet curtains, a center table and an L-shaped buffet table. We took turns ordering exotic froo froo drinks such as blue typhoons and rose water mohito. After another toast and some fun photo shoot moments, the food arrived. Platter after platter of my favorite dishes. We enjoying the thoughtful choices of all the mouth watering morsels and then filed into the limo again. (insert more oohhh la la comments here)








We them proceeded to drive around downtown Palo alto and Stanford campus with half our bodies out the windows and sun roof of the limo dancing to a mix of my favorite songs that Katieanne had made from my ipod. As the music played, we let the wind blow in our hair and shook what our mamma gave us with abandon rarely seen in stay-home mothers.

We then pulled up to Emily’s house and I thought the night was over……no no, not even close. After posing with Ruben our limo driver who tried to convince us he would take us to Vegas, we headed inside Emily’s house. And what to my wondering eye should appear but an incredible spread of treats by my friends so dear. (That’s the end of my Christmas poem lines). The house was decorated with photos of me throughout my life. There was also a spread of all my favorite little treats and a fleur de sol cake made by Ana (my favorite with chocolate ganache and salt caramel). We all went into Emily’s room and changed into PJ’s (mine were graciously folded and waiting for me). Then off to the living room for another toast and some insane dancing, lip-syncing, spank trains, photo shoots, pillow fights and dance offs!


Basically the evening you dream of when you hear the song “Girls just wanna have fun”. We then nibbled on treats and I opened (can you believe it, as if this wasn’t already enough) presents from everyone. All of them thoughtful and perfect for my interests tastes and hobbies.

At this point all the girls disappeared into the back room and left me in the living room for a surprise game that my sister Mary had put together. Then to my surprise they all came out dressed as me in different phases of my life. From the pregnant college graduate, swimmer, bride, cook, and little girl. I had to put them in chronological order and tell the story that went with the ensemble. I felt like my friends knew me so well and I really enjoyed sharing a few of the highlights over the last 30 years. Afterwards when what I thought was the last toast given by Katieanne had ended, suddenly from behind a curtain Rory appeared. Dressed so handsomely and holding a piece of paper. Rory then proceeded to give the last and final toast in which he declared his love for me with all of my girlfriend’s ohhh-ing and aww-ing. The candles on the cake were lit, happy birthday was sung (and whistled, something I have always wanted) and we all indulged in a slice of the most divine cake. Then a party favor (made by Mary) of my favorite and rare candy, with a photo of me on perfect little white boxes was handed out. Moments later our champagne flutes were topped off and (new years eve style) everyone counted down to midnight and screamed the moment I actually turned 30. If I live to be 100 years old, no Birthday in the history of time will top this one. The amount of fun, thoughtfulness, details and kindness put into this party was mind blowing. Mary also made a book with everyone’s toast and all my family members’ birthday wishes. I am truly blessed to have such wonderful friends and family. Thank you my Dears

13 comments:

Mom said...

You are so loved.

Ashley said...

You know I should have been there! Looks like you guys had so much fun!

SB said...

serious fun. i was laughing out loud at the image of you waiting as emily was late and then had the nerve to ask you to come out and help her carry in her craft stuff!!! what a fabulous fabulous surprise, carried out with true style!!! happy birthday Anne!

Andy said...

Thank the stars above that the chins picture didn't make the cut. Schwoooosh! Such a fun night. Love you.

Sarah said...

You are so lucky! You deserve every detail!!

Cassie said...

What a fun night! I will forever have a smile on my face remembering that party. You are such a great friend, I know there are about a hundred women who would have come to celebrate your 30th. Happy Birthday!!!

brenley said...

i've had so much fun catching up on your blog! from twilight to birthday bliss! what fun! the birthday post had me smiling so big and i think i might have even got teary-eyed :) what an incredible night for an incredible girl! totally anne-style!! loved it! and the twilight theme was a total hit! so wish i would have been in town for that one!

Cassie said...

Hey Anne, Lorien loves to read your blog and wanted to leave a comment. So here it is:

HI ANNE! I chukled and said awww! that's so sweet! a bunch of times with that post! Anyway, I'm glad you had a wonderful time on your birthday!

best wishes,
Lorien

Emily Gillrie said...

That sounded like it was so perfect. I can only hope that I have friends like that one day.

Super B said...

Wow Anne, what a special day! You totally deserve it. I was grinning the whole time I was reading that post! What amazing friends you have. I am so glad that you had such a wonderful night! Love and hugs!

Nellie said...

Um, seriously, the bar is set SUPER high. It's almost my (gulp) 40th, so maybe I should start the hinting now. Cool friends.

Diana Hulme said...

WOW. Now I am blog-stalking YOU and this is seriously the party of a lifetime! You have awesome friends. How fun!!!

BTW - Emily was my volleyball coach in high school. Small world.

Anonymous said...

top [url=http://www.001casino.com/]casino games[/url] coincide the latest [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com/]realcazinoz.com[/url] manumitted no deposit hand-out at the chief [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]bay attend casino
[/url].