Friday, March 6, 2009

New approach to Birthdays


I have a new approach to Birthdays. In the past I have thrown large scale themed birthday parties with extensive decorations, games, goody bags, food, cake, presents and so on. Although those that know me know I love to through an event, this just seemed to be missing the mark. I found myself worrying about refilling drinks and the timing of the birthday song more than the birthday boy. Then my little sister Laura taught me a lesson. For Rowan’s 2nd birthday Laura threw a princess party. She invited 3 or 4 of Rowan’s closest friends and had them wear princess dresses. Laura organized it in a play date style where the girls were dropped off. The guests were greeted by Laura; wearing a fairy God mother costume and told to come in. The party consisted of story time, a scaventure hunt for crowns and wands, tea party cake and presents. The whole thing wrapped up in two hours, took minimal planning and was exactly what Rowan wanted. So for this round of birthdays I plan doing things differently. I will only invite a few of their closest friends or just family, and we will spend the entire time doing exactly what they love. To be continued

3 comments:

A.D. McClish said...

That actually sounds like a great idea. You can have a more relaxed setting.

SB said...

brilliant. have fun with it - i bet you'll thorougly love watching your boys love it! say hi to dane from daniel!

Celeste Christensen said...

I learned that lesson from a dear friend around Rachael's birthday. It was when I gave her an invite and she said she only had parties every other year and if they choose to forgo the party they could have the money.

I found that interesting and loved reading about the boys! They are getting big!