Friday, April 8, 2011

The Baby Cave

Two week Recovery Soap Box
Anyone who knows me well knows about my post baby recovery theories. My grandmother was a surgical nurse who worked in labor and delivery for many years. She was adamant about post baby recovery and made sure my sisters and I understood. She gave us insight that I’m very grateful for to this day.  I can hear her voice now… “you can spend 2 weeks in bed and actually get better or you can spend 1 week in bed and not be 100% for six months”.  I have followed her advise with each of my four babies and found that it is sage indeed. There’s no need to be a hero, you should  focus on that little baby and getting the rest you need.

I don’t understand the “pioneer woman” or something I call the martyr mother. I mean really, a large percentage of those pioneer women just died in the process. The martyr mother is another perspective that is beyond me. The concept that only through total sacrifice of ones well being and happiness can you truly show your children and family how much you love them. You’re doing your children a disservice by living a life “for them” in a way that makes you miserable. 

Of course I know you can swing too far to the other side very easily and live a life of total self indulgence. I guess it’s all about balance and I could go on for hours about my journey to find the balance. If there is any point I’m trying to make, it’s that if there is a time to really indulge yourself in nursing your wounds, it’s after a baby. The key to nursing those wounds is something I call the baby cave.
There are 10 elements to creating the perfect baby cave. tricks to making your recovery work, especially if you're like me and usually do 20 things at the same time. It can be hard to slow down and even harder to enjoy it. Here’s the list for the perfect baby cave. Start with your bedroom and add these 10 things.
1. Dark or blackout curtains. This is huge, you have to sleep when you can and a sunlight filled room can make this difficult.
2. White noise. Whether it’s a fan or white noise machine this can not only help you and the baby sleep better but it helps drown out the bustling noises of the rest of the house.
3. The perfect bassinet. One that goes beside your bed with a fold down side for easy baby access. The kind that anchor to your bed are the best. My favorite brand is arms reach.
4. Water, water and more water. I had two flats of large Costco bottled water under the bassinet. Nothing makes your mouth feel more like a dessert than nursing.
5.Staying in your PJ’s, the second you get dressed it’s game on. People see you as all better now and their expectations change.
6. Pillows galore, lot’s of clean linens, pj’s, baby clothes and blankets.
7. A TV & DVD player
8. bedside table for chapstick, pacifiers, prescriptions, lanolin, a digital clock within eye sight, pen & paper (to keep track of feedings and medication) a night light, remotes, snacks like apples and granola bars, changing pad, diapers & wipes.
 (That's right Battle Star Galactica is the bomb!)
9. Entertainment.  A large selection of movies, books, TV series on DVD, a cell phone and a laptop.
10. I also like to have some candy handy, to keep my little ones visiting my baby cave. If you’re extra lucky to have flowers and art from friends and family it's a huge plus.
 ***of course this only works if you have a helpful angel mother and mother in law and a dear sweet husband who can get some time of, Thank you Rory and moms***

For all my friends who are having babies or will at some point, good luck with your baby caves and if I see you out of bed before two weeks you’re toast!
P.S  After your two week recovery lay low for another 4 to six weeks, your baby doesn’t need the germs and you need the time to adjust to the addition.  Alright, I’m finally off my mommy soap box

10 comments:

Carrie Hellewell said...

I have always been the opposite and I can see now that it has not worked for me in the past. I always feel like if I get dressed and move around, I'll get better sooner. Not true. I'm going to try your advice and make my own baby cave. I also struggle with balance and this is the one time that I feel I can think a little more of myself and let others take care of the children. Thanks for the advice, I'll need it in about 4 weeks!

Taryn said...

i see castle and bones are among your dvd's...two of my fav shows :)

julieb said...

i never knew.
great advice!

katie j said...

LOVE my elizabthe gaskell 3 movie set from costco!!! north and south - one of my top 5 all time favs. love cranford and wives and duaghters too. love me some mr thornton.. mmmmmmm.
nice that you have mothers and husbands to indulge that baby cave... what a dream. love it.

Brie said...

I do the same thing! This time I was able to keep Kayden entertained by new toys in his room and netflix on the TV in my room. It was great! Liam and I got quality time together and Kayden didnt feel left out. Great minds think alike!

GreenBootGirl said...

Totally agree! I love that u call it the baby cave! keep up the good rest :)

kaley

Amy said...

Excellent reminder, Anne. I'm going to follow your advice.

Katt said...

Love this post! I'm totally taking notes.

Just Jaime said...

Pinned. Thank you for your preaching--I'm not letting anyone tell me otherwise!

adidas nmd said...

adidas stan smith women
lacoste sale
michael kors outlet online
nike roshe run
longchamp bags
michael kors handbags
ferragamo belt
prada eyeglasses
nike huarache sale
nike huarache