Saturday, April 17, 2010

Finny's faux pas


Rory was out of town over the weekend. I decided to rally and spent four hours Saturday night attempting to make Sunday morning a smooth transition. I prepared Primary sharing time, I laid out everyone’s outfits, put out all the breakfast preparations and packed an elaborate entertainment bag full of snacks, games and toys. All of this in the hopes that I would still make it on time and in one piece with out my darling Rory’s help. My efforts paid off, we got there on time and we even looked nice (with the exception of Dane’s shark shoes, since we couldn’t find any others) Nothing says reverence like giant white teeth and fins on your shoes. After we were settles in our church pew and the service had started I realized that if one child melted down I wouldn’t really be able to leave. Trying to drag all three of them quietly out the door as one melts down while the others scream something like..”but we’re leaving my favorite toys and I still want those fruit snacks” was not going to happen. So I knew we were there to stay which wouldn’t have been a problem if it wasn’t for Finn’s recent obsession with all things scary. Finn leans over my shoulder and gets this scared look on his face. I look behind me as see a woman in our congregation (who I adore) who is a little older; with black hair that has a few touches of grey in it. Finn then proceeds to point his finger at her and say “wicked witch mommy”. I try to quiet him down to no avail. “Wicked witch mommy, sooo scary’ over and over again. Now I would like to think she didn’t hear him but that is very unlikely considering the volume and amount of times it was repeated. I finally stopped Finn by shoving and entire bag worth of Costco dried mango pieces into his mouth. Good times