Sunday, October 11, 2009

Dane's First Day of School (last month)

It happened a few times a day all summer long. I would be playing with the boys and suddenly realize that this was the last summer with Dane before school. I have such a hard time with the thought of just handing him over to the assigned teacher and hoping for the best. I described the experience to my sister like this. "Sending your child to school is like dressing them up in new clothes, putting them in a row boat and pushing them into the middle of a lake....on a foggy day. You don't know what's going on, what people are saying to them, if they are being well received and in turn kindly receiving other children. It’s the great unknown.” This looming deadline forced me to revel in every moment this summer. Instead of letting it make me weeping it made me press forward and savor our time together. I try not to question myself too much. Did I teach him enough, is he on par with reading, will he come home with swear words and will his view of the world change? I'm sure it will be easier with the second, and right now since it is more than a month behind me it is easier. So far so good, Dane loves school and can't wait to go every morning. I will admit that on the first day I cried like a baby, but thank heavens Dane did not see me. I guess this means I'm a big girl now, with a PTA membership and everything. I used to say that you really grew up when you had to take care of your own taxes and health insurance. But now I think it's when you send one of your own into the world.









5 comments:

Mom said...

I agree with you that it takes a lot of maturity on the part of the parent to allow your child to face the world alone. I like your analogy of putting them into a boat on a foggy day. Dane is such a joy to be with. All of your boys are because you and Rory have taught them to create the love they need to sustain themselves and each other.

Anne said...

Wow mom thanks, that made my day!

Super B said...

Awwww...your baby is growing up. I love your mom's comment, she put it so eloquently and I agree with her.
I also want to say how fascinating the diversity of your kids is. Brown eyes, green eyes, blue eyes and they all look different too. They are all so handsome and I am sure they will do great as they enter this big, wide world (not necessarily because they are handsome though.)

Super B said...

Okay, so I think I see that Liam's eyes are not really green. But a different blue than Finns.

Cher said...

Hey Anne! How are you? Can I have your e-mail? I have a question for you! Thanks.